"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Saturday, April 14, 2012

they're on the move

I have been reading RV blogs for several years now. I even have a list of some of my favorites on the right hand column of my blog. Most of the fulltimers who have been doing this stuff awhile hunker down during the winter months in some warm, non-snowy (is that a word LOL) place and I look forward to the time they start their traveling again. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy reading about their winter time activities but I really, really love the posts written about new places to explore as well as new things to experience. I have imagined Rudee and I traveling these same roads and visiting these same areas. Ahhh the allure of life on the road :-).

This time of year the snowbirds and hibernating fulltimers are becoming mobile again. The last couple of weeks we have been staying busy with travelers heading back north after a spending the winter in the warmer southern or western climates. The majority of the people we have had staying with us are our neighbors from Canada. I learned from them that they have to be back in their country for at least 6 months of the year or they risk losing some (or all) of their citizenship benefits.
I like to talk to all the people I park and, if they are friendly and want to talk with me, I like to hear about their travels. We have had a good mix of snowbirds returning from Florida, Texas and Arizona. Most are in class A motorhomes or 5th wheels with only a few in travel trailers and smaller C or B motorhomes. Most of the folks are very friendly but there are a few who are tired and really don't want to be bothered. I understand this and leave these folks alone because I know there are travel days that I just want to get parked, eat and relax in my "comfy chair" :-).

Work the last couple of days for me has consisted of a little lawn mowing but mostly construction projects. We hung a new garage door and built a landing for the stairs into the attic area of the office attached to the new maintenance building.
The boss and one of the other work campers made a trip to the local lumber yard and picked up a huge stack of boards that will become new picnic tables, well they will as soon as we cut them in 1/2, stain them and bolt them to the new frames! They have enough wood and frames to build 50 new tables. James and I started on tables yesterday afternoon by cutting enough of the lumber to build 10 tables. We started staining  the boards but could only do 10 boards (it takes 5 per table) due to the limited work space we had and the threat of rain. Once the stain dried we started assembling and got 2 tables done and another 10 boards stained and drying before it was time for me to get off. I figure with 2 of us working we can complete a table in about an hour, or 4-5 per shift. That's 10 straight days of nothing but staining and building tables, WOW! They do look nice though.

I woke up this morning to rain pounding on the roof of the 5th wheel and we have had a few rumbles of thunder. They are predicting storms off and on all day. We work the 3pm - 8pm shift today and it looks like it will be a wet one! I'll keep you posted.


2 comments:

  1. We read other full-timer blogs waiting for that day when we are not sitting stationary. It's nice to read about the places we'll see someday.

    ReplyDelete