"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Friday, April 30, 2021

The long trek West

 We left our "moochdocking" spot in our daughters driveway last Wednesday. We had to delay a day because of a big storm making it's way across the middle of the country dropping snow and temperatures. Indiana got about 3" of wet snow on Tuesday night and I had to scrape off the roofs of the slides so they would close. I thought maybe Rudee would feel sorry for me and let me get slide toppers installed but since we have 5 slides she figures it's better to just spend that money to stay away from the snow! LOL The roads were clear and dry but it never did get above 40 degrees the whole day. Brrrrrr.

Our trip West went well stopping the first night in Iowa and the 2nd night in Sioux Falls, SD. We arrived back in Custer on Friday afternoon and spent a week at French Creek RV Park downtown. Each leg of the trip was about 380 miles and that distance worked well for us. 


Today we packed up again and moved to our summer "digs" in the shadow of Crazy Horse Memorial. Our 4 mile trip went well and we were not even "road weary" when we arrived 10 minutes later. LOL


We are the first work campers here but more will be arriving in the next days and weeks. We start on Wednesday with orientation and then back to the old grind on Friday.  I will be driving one of the tour buses that gives guests a closer look at the Mountain. Rudee will be doing shipping and receiving in the gift shop. Both of us are working 4 days per week and are looking forward to a little more relaxed atmosphere that part time work camping provides ........we hope! LOL I'll keep you posted!

7 comments:

  1. Just got caught up on your trip via the blog. Cool to go back to Crazy Horse as workampers, maybe not as much stress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you giving the orientation class? I am guessing either one of you could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually that was one of my jobs😁. Only lasts a few hours though and we get a free lunch. 🤣

      Delete
  3. Glad you are settled in and looking forward to hearing about your daily routines.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you arrived safely. What a treat for you both to work only 4 days in less stressful capacities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, we had wet snow one spring on our slide toppers. They were always tightly stretched, but wet snow made them sag. The slides would not come in so I had to go up top with a broom and push the snow off. Wet snow on a fiberglas roof makes it an ice skating rink, so I was on my hands and knees the entire length of the coach in order to do all four slides and not slide off the roof. So once I got down, I had to change out of my wet clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow 😳 I'm not the greatest up on the roof when dry, I would hate to be up there in the cold and wet!

      Delete