"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

this is for the birds!!


In the words of Jim Lovell "Houston, we have a problem". The past several days we have had a male Cardinal attacking our 5th wheel. He starts at dawn and dive bombs the little mirror thingy that is over our hitch. The mirror is there so when you are backing the truck in to hook on you can see the hitch in the mirror. I can't say if it's good or not because I really have never looked into it while backing up. Now that we have the HDT (rver code for really big truck) I mounted a camera on the back of it to use when I back up. This bird, which happens to be the State Bird for Indiana, thinks his reflection is another male and decides it's time to fight. He pecks at the mirror with gusto and leaves his "markings" on the hitch as well as scratching up the mirror. He has even attacked Rudee's car mirror. Being a compassionate guy, I looked for a non violent way to persuade the bird to move along. I researched on the internet and found that this is not just an isolated "crazy" bird and others have been in the same delima. The most popular cure seemed to be hanging mylar strips or something similar in the windows so Rudee and I went to the $1 store and bought some fancy bows w/ ribbons that you put on presents. I stuck these on the mirror and also on the bedroom window. Rudee also bought some shower caps and has been covering up her car mirrors with these. Well this morning we would get the result to our big experiment. The verdict is ........... I should have saved my $1.00 :). The bird is still here and he is still banging away at the mirror ribbons and all. I guess that's just another sign of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment