"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

fixin the digs

One thing about RV living that every fulltimer learns is that things tend to break down every now and again. During our first year in our rig I have had to repair the furnace, replace the hot water heater element, install a new toilet gasket, replace the kitchen faucet, and replace the thermostat. All of these jobs were fairly minor thank goodness. Rudee can attest to the fact that I am not a "Mr. Fix-it" type of guy but I do my best.
We have been having a problem with the toilet running after we flush it. We have been really having to keep an eye on it to keep it from overflowing. We could jiggle the foot pedal and get it to stop but it needed to be fixed. I called a local RV dealer and they had the replacement valve in stock so I ran over and picked one up ($55.00 OUCH).
The valve came with directions and I also found step by step instructions with photos on the internet. The job didn't look too hard so I jumped in with both feet. Our toilet area is on the small side and of course the valve was on the side of the toilet by the wall which gave me about 12" of space to work in.
I was able to get the old valve removed and installed the new one in it's place. The valve and pedal are only held in by two long screws but it sure would have been easier if I had more room to see what I was doing. Once I had the new valve in I tested the water lines for leaks and, finding none, gave it a test flush. Hooray, worked the first time!! Another RV crisis solved :-).

We plan on riding to our normal Wednesday night dinner ride with our Goldwing friends. Tonight's restaurant is a hamburger joint called 5 Guy's. Our son has eaten there and likes it so we are looking forward to it. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment