"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Monday, October 22, 2012

the big move

Saturday morning we were up and out of the 5th wheel at first light. We had pulled the motor home next to the Montana after signing the papers late Friday evening to save as much time as we could. Our mission today was to check all the systems while transferring all of our belongings from one to the other. My plan was to be done and outta there by 2pm ......... didn't happen :-)
The first obstacle we came across was the amount of "stuff" we had accumulated in the last 3 1/2 years as full timers. A good rule for full timers is if you have not used something for an entire year then get rid of it. Good rule in theory but it was obvious we had not "practiced what we preached" :-)
Rudee and I worked all day moving stuff over. Down the 4 steps from the Monty, 5 feet over to the motor home, up 5 steps into the inside, put it away and then repeat, over and over again!
At noon we took a break and dropped off the keys and titles for the truck and Montana to the dealership. We also met with the service people and did our walk through. They did a couple of minor adjustments for us and then we were back work.
I'm ashamed to say we ended up taking 12 large garbage bags full of "stuff" to the Goodwill as well as several to the dumpster! How in the world did we let this get out of hand! :-) I can hear my Mother telling me "there is a lesson to be learned here!" and I'm sure both my parents were smiling down on us. They had been through trading units several times themselves over the years. :-)

At 4pm we decided to just pile it all in the best we could and sort it out later. We got on the road at 5pm, so much for our 2pm plan. :-)
We headed for Indianapolis and I enjoyed driving the rig. We still have a couple of brackets to order from Roadmaster to make our Dakota tow able so Rudee still follows behind but we will soon be back together again.
We arrived at White River Campground in Cicero, Indiana just before dark to find our friends Rob and Jany waiting for us. They were anxious to see the new digs as well as to eat supper! :-)
We got set up in record time and gave them a quick tour around the several plastic totes that filled the hallway and then headed for dinner. Rudee and I had only eaten a banana and a bologna sandwich all day, we were both starving!
Sunday morning Rudee and Jany got busy while Rob and I "got lost" by request. :-) They purged out a few more things but now we have clear hallways and our house on wheels is starting to look like home.

We have some friends and family headed our way to check it out later today. Still no word on our next deployment, guess it's time to get back to work though and pay for this thing! I'll keep you posted.


  1. You will probably find it easier to back your new rig into tighter spots then you did with the 5er. Also riding down the road in the same vehicle will make the trip less stressful and enjoyable being able to hold conversations with one another. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

  2. Whew. For some reason I hadn't kept up with your blog since July! So today I went back and read everything you've been doing. Wow!

    A new job, helping your son with his wedding, touring Washington, D.C., traveling hither and yon.

    Made me tired just reading about it all.

    Glad I re-found your blog. I added you to my reading list.


  3. Looking good, you guys! After all the work is done, you'll be able to put your feet up and relax... until you get 'deployed' again!

  4. The new accomadations look super. I did not see that coming. Congrats.