"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

hurry up and wait

Man oh man, what a week we have had. We did get moved back into our home on Sunday. The weather cooperated with my efforts to get the basement compartments cleaned out. I removed all of our "stuff" from the basement storage and rinsed all the mud out that was left behind by the flood. I used our small space heater to dry the indoor/outdoor carpet that lines the compartments. By Monday afternoon I had them all cleaned out, dried out and all the stuff put back where it goes.

Tuesday morning the insurance adjuster for the cargo trailer arrived (right on time!) to look at the damage. He took some photos and gathered some information but said he would have to pass it on to a specialist to resolve it. I understood, after all most of the adjusters out there are trained to look at cars and trucks. Cargo trailers are something they don't see a lot of.
Later in the afternoon I received a call from the specialist who went over the coverage's  deductible and what was and was not covered by our policy. He did say the trailer would be a total loss and he would call me back before the end of the week with the settlement amount.
The motorcycle, on the other hand, is still sitting and I have not heard a thing from the adjuster assigned to handle it. When I called I was told it would be 2-3 business days before someone would contact me to schedule an inspection. I think 2-3 days is a little long to wait for just a phone call and I'm not real happy with the service right out of the box. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

Tuesday afternoon we drove to Lafayette to our son, Matthew's, home. He had purchased a new grille and asked for help putting it together. When we arrived he had started the job already. I quickly found out this was not an ordinary grille. The directions to put this "Nasa Space Shuttle" size grille together was a small novel. There were 34 steps to the assembly and the directions were all pictures, no words at all!
Matthew was on step #3, only 31 more to go. :-)
We worked most of the afternoon and got the grille together and working fine. Pretty cool, no trips to the emergency room and only one screw left over!
While we were working the rain started. Rudee and I are both pretty tuned in to rain fall right about now. I knew they were predicting some light showers but as the day wore on the rain got heavier and heavier. Oh No!
We made it back to the motor home right as it was getting dark. I did a quick survey of the water level in and around the campground making a mental note of the height. The rain not only continued but got even heavier! By 10pm I was on my 3rd trip around the campground and it was obvious the water was rising! :-o
We decided we were not going get caught in it again and started packing up. I got soaked but we found out we can go from completely set up to road ready in 20 minutes! I don't recommend it but it can be done! :-)
We pulled out of the campground and headed towards the Wal Mart in Brownsburg about 15 miles away. Once we arrived I changed my mind and decided to move to the Lowes right up the road. The Wal Mart was a 24 hour store and was in a busier area then Lowes. We got parked and were both happy to be away from the flood risk. We could hear the rain hitting the roof most of the night so we are sure we made a good decision to leave. I'll keep you posted.


  1. Are you sure snow isn't easier to deal with?!? It's so purty coming down then at the end of the day it's all gone!

    1. I'm thinking you're right! I tried shoveling the flood water but no matter how many scoops of water I took and threw into a pile it never got any lower around the bike! LOL

  2. It is better to be safe than sorry!

  3. We had to evacuate our spot here twice in 2011 due to Irene and Lee; the river near us overflowed its banks. Much better to be on higher ground! Glad you got out and are staying high and dry.

  4. Hopefully it ends soon, good grief 'eh? We are moving our rig back down into the lower part of the campground where our spot is, if my yard is any indication it's going to be VERY soggy there and not much fun cleaning all of the garbage that piled up.

    A deck floated to our spot, I'm hoping it's still there as the owners said if it's one of the decks from an empty lot we can keep it.

    Good luck! I hope everything gets settled soon and it dries up!


  5. Smart move to head to higher ground. Even for peace of mind! :)

  6. Glad your home was salvagable. Now to deal with the bike and trailer! Feel free to direct that rain down to us in South Texas. I'm comfortable that the levee will hold and it should would help with the dust...

    Seriously, glad things are not a total loss and that you guys are safe and dry -- so long as you stay inside.