"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Thursday, January 24, 2013

end of the road for us

No we are not giving up full timing, our gate is at the very end if a lonely dirt road so I thought that would be a nice title for a post. :-)
There is one house on our road about 1/2 way between us and the paved road otherwise we are all alone out here. The traffic has been light with no activity after dark so I shut the gate once everyone leaves and so far have not been bothered overnight. I get up about 5:30am, open the gate and the first workers tend to arrive between 6 and 6:30. I sure hope this continues for awhile, I could really get used to it! I'm sure things will pick up around here soon though and my lazy nights will come to an end.

Yesterday I made our first supply run into Cotulla. The drive takes about 40 minutes and I timed it so I could go to the weekly gathering of gate guards at one of the restaurants in town. I found out about it through the myoldrvforum which is a virtual gathering place for gate guards and people interested in the work.
We met at JJ's Country Store Restaurant and it was packed! We had to wait for 30 minutes before enough room opened up to get us seated. I enjoyed meeting and talking with the other guys and the food was pretty good too. Next week will be the ladies turn to meet so Rudee is already looking forward to it.

After lunch I made a stop at the post office and then the grocery store. Outside the store they have a kiosk to refill water bottles, .25 per gal jug or $1.00 for a 5 gal jug. I refilled all of our empties and then refilled the Dakota's gas tank in their gas station. This store is a pretty handy stop for sure.
As I was pumping gas I checked my phone and saw that I had a missed call and voice mail. The number was a Texas number that I didn't recognize. I listened to the message and it was Rudee. Seems she went outside to answer the bell and somehow when she shut the door behind her it locked! Her keys and cell phone were all inside and she was stuck outside. She borrowed a cell phone from one of the workers so I didn't worry of I called her phone and couldn't get an answer.
Before I made it back to the motorhome she had been able to open a screen and, using our step ladder, reach through the window and unlock the door. We now have a key hidden on the outside of the motorhome :-)
So far we are enjoying our location here in the boonies and looking forward to the boost in the bank account. I'll keep you posted.


3 comments:

  1. Hiding a key was one of the first things we did! Haven't used it yet but you never know! Sounds like the gate is going to work out well.

    We are alone in our campground. Not many people come out this far this time of year. It's nice to have quiet time. Lots of places to hike. Heading out this morning once we see if the sprinkles we're having stop! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a decent gate. I hope that it lasts. I was never able to meet with the ladies, but kept in touch by email. I hope that I will be able to get one later this spring.

    ReplyDelete