"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Monday, April 2, 2012

scattered, smothered and chunked!

The KOA here has a full service restaurant open for breakfast and supper and I have been doing a little training in the kitchen. My first job in high school was as a grill cook at a local greasy spoon, so grillin' on a flat top is not new to me but it has been a really long time. A few days ago the boss man asked me to handle the cooking duties Monday morning because he was driving to Illinois to pick up new picnic table frames and had to leave before dawn to make the round trip.
Needless to say I was a little nervous since this would be the first time I would be cooking here by myself. Rudee was going to help me by waiting on tables if things got busy (they did!). We were up and out the door by 7:15 because I had to fire up the grill and get the prep work done for the 8am opening.
I got the coffee made and started getting the kitchen ready for cooking while Rudee busied herself in the dining room. Our first campers walked in the door at 8:01am wanting to eat a good breakfast before hitting the road.  Oh well, ready or not, here we go!

The menu is fairly simple with eggs, omelets, pancakes and french toast. Meats are the typical bacon or sausage and we offer hash browns (frozen patties) and home fries (made from scratch). Breakfast is served from 8am until 9:30 and the time flew by! One of the perks of working here is a free breakfast everyday so the last half hour is when most of the employees get their meal. I felt the pressure when the tickets were stacking up and the grille was full of food but, with Rudee's encouragement I handled it pretty well and everyone was fed quickly.We got some really good compliments on our food and that makes it all worth while.
Once everyone was fed Rudee and I had our breakfast and cleaned everything up.
We had the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon off so we made a Wal Mart run for groceries and then came home and took a quick nap before reporting back to work at 4:30. This evening was our typical jobs of registering campers and getting them parked and settled in for the night.
I do get to spend some time with the "girls". This is Dolly and Cookie


and we all know this good looking chick!


Our schedule is changing and we will have the next 2 days off. Eventually we will have the same days off each week (Sunday and Monday) but that will not be for a couple of weeks. Tomorrow we are heading for Northern Indiana. I made some calls and found Rudee an identical microwave/convection oven at an RV Surplus store. The oven is a "left over" from one of the RV factories and is less than half the cost of one from the oven manufacturer and I promised her I would only install it and NOT use it! :-) I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you jumping right in there! I'm sure everyone had good food :)

    Cute donkeys - I would like having that job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you guys are brave taking on cooking kitchen duties! I'm a decent cook but doing so under pressure . . . not my cup of tea. ;) Hanging out with the critters and tending to them, now that's more like it!

    ReplyDelete