"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happy Labor Day

Sunday I was back up again at 5:30 am. What's going on? I guess I can't sleep when it's dead quiet. Tim and Lynda were parked next to us and I tried talking them into getting up around 4:30 and making some "train" noises or at least doing a little barking so I could sleep in. They said "no thanks".

We had another pitch in breakfast and then the rain started. We decided since we couldn't ride the bikes then we could at least do some shopping. Grumpy offered to drive us to some of the local flea markets so Rudee and I along with Steve and Trish headed out with him. We stopped at 2 large ones and browsed through all the tents while the rain continued.

No bargains were found and we all pitched in to buy Grumpy's lunch as a thank you for using his diesel fuel. We went to a mexican restaurant on the east edge of Nashville. The place was crowded and we soon found out why. The food and service were both very good.

The rain stopped while we were eating lunch but the skies stayed grey and it looked like the rain would start again. We drove back to the campground and hung around for a couple of hours. The skies finally showed some sign of clearing so Rudee and I led Suters and Picketts
in search of a geocache.

We enjoy this hobby and have been doing it off and on for over 3 years. Geocaching is a high tech treasure hunt using a GPS as your guide. People place the caches all over and then post their location coordinates on http://www.geocaching.com/about/ You have to become a member to get the coordinates but the good thing is it's free to join. All you have to do is enter the coordinates into your GPS and follow it to the cache.

The one we were looking for was near a cemetery. We parked the bikes and walked thru the cemetery into a wooded area behind. Following the GPS we located the container under the base of a tree. The caches typically contain at least a log for you to sign that you found it and some of the larger ones have items to trade. You might get a key chain and leave a marble (or whatever else you brought to trade). This is a great way to explore a new area and is a lot of fun.

We made it back to the camper right about time for supper and I got Duped. There were Happy Birthday banners hung up and the rest of the crew was busy cooking and setting up for a party ............... for Me!!

Tuesday September 8th is my 50'th birthday. I guess I'm both an old fart and a young pup depending on ones perspective. I guess I'll settle for feeling like the young pup and looking like the old fart :-).

They cooked up steaks and the ladies brought out all kinds of salads and side dishes. We had a feast! Cake and ice cream followed the meal and they even brought out presents and sang to me. Thanks guys, it was fun and I appreciate it more than you'll know.

Monday we all hopped on our bikes and went to Brownie's Cafe for breakfast and then Dale and Teresa Pickett led us on a great ride through the hills of Brown County In. We had fun and it ended way too soon but we had to pack up and head home.

We made it back and were all set up again in our usual spot at the KOA by 4pm. Rudee and I were tired but both agreed that the week ends, even the 3 day holiday week ends, pass by way too fast. We are meeting Rudee's parents and Amanda, Ryan and the kids at the New Ross Steakhouse Tuesday evening for my birthday dinner. I'm looking forward to it and I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment