"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Made it back

We sure were happy to see our little home on wheels even though we were over 1 1/2 hours later than we thought. We spent the morning with my Mom and Dad and had lunch with them. We had arranged for a taxi to pick us up at their house at 2:30 to take us to the airport. They have always used a shuttle service for a ride and when talking to my sister she told me that she shared the van with several people and had to make a lot of stops in all directions. I did compare the prices and the taxi (with 24 hour notice) was only $1 more than the shuttle and you have a non stop ride and don't have to share. The taxi picked us up right on time and we headed for the airport. The traffic was heavy and the a/c in the cab was not the best and the thing smelled like stale smoke but we made it safe and sound. We got to the line to check in and it was long. I looked ahead at the counter and there were several self check in stations sitting empty and could not figure out why people were not using them. I left Rudee to hold our place in line and went to the first machine open. You have to slide your credit card into the reader for identification and then it's just a few selections to check in and your boarding passes are printed out. The whole process took about 2 minutes and we avoided standing in a line of about 35 people, cool :-). Security was another matter though, they only had 2 lanes open and again the line was long but went fairly fast. We made it thru and went to a Mexican place to grab something to eat before or flight boarded in about an hour (or so we thought). We finished our shared plate of nachos and right when we got to the gate they announced that our flight was delayed at least an hour. There were a total of 3 flights delayed in our little gate area and the place was crowded. I called Niles and told him of the delay so they could adjust their travel time to pick us up, then we just sat and waited. I never have been a big fan of flying and would rather drive if the time permits. We left my parents at 2:30 and finally boarded the flight at 6:30 for the 2 hour flight to Indy, a full day for just a short flight is not pleasant. I'm sure glad we don't live in Washington like my sister, that's a long day of travel!
Our flight was rough and the landing was one of the roughest I've had but it was pretty windy when we came in so I'll cut our pilot some slack. Niles and Deb picked us up and drove us home, thanks guys!
I'm not sure when it happened but sometime not too long ago and it seems very suddenly, everyone got younger than me. The pilots for both of our flights looked like they were on spring break from High School!! The nurses and therapist at my Mom and Dad's place are all just kids and the office manager looks like a college intern. I feel old. :-)
Rudee is sleeping in this morning, I really want to go for some breakfast since we don't have much in the way of groceries here in the 5th wheel but she has been such a good sport helping me deal with my parents that I'll let her sleep. I woke her up pretty much every morning before daylight this past week and we are both tired. We don't have any real plans today and it looks like it's going to be a nice sunny day, a little cooler than we have been used to this past week but it's nice to be home. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment