"if you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room"

Monday, May 4, 2009

there is Fungus Amongus




We slept in a little bit Sunday morning since we were out late trying to keep up with the "younger crowd". Once we were motivating we decided to head over to Turkey Run State Park again and check our "secret" mushroom grounds for some "shrooms". I have hunted Morel Mushrooms for as long as I can remember. http://thegreatmorel.com/ There is a $5.00 gate fee to get into the park but when we arrived and tried to pay the nice lady at the gate said they were having a "get in free" week end. Nice! We made a quick pit stop at the Nature Center and then parked near "our" spot and headed into the woods. It took about 10 minutes of hunting before I spotted a yellow sponge Morel mushroom peeking thru the leaves. The old timers always told me that where you find one there will be at least one more. I called Rudee over to where I was standing and we both started looking and quickly found several more. We picked and bagged them and when we were satisfied we had them all we moved on. We searched that little stretch of woods pretty good and found a couple more on our way back to the truck. Once back to the truck we counted our loot. 11 good looking, fresh Morels. That will make a nice meal for us. The mushrooms will be here for about 2-3 weeks and then no more until next year. I guess that's why they are such a treat. I have had enough luck (and time) in years past that we were able to freeze a few and enjoy them a different times but with all the stuff going on in our lives right now, mushroom hunting will probably take a back burner.

I have a conference call with my "team" from work in the morning. The boss says we are going to have to expand our territory since we have not been too busy. He says we are going to have to cover Fort Wayne which is a 2 1/2 hour drive, one way, for me. I don't know what he is planning but the there are 3 of us here in Central Indiana and since I don't live in Indianapolis and the other 2 do it always seems like they think I am closer to anything not with in the city limits of Indy. I guess I'll just have to do whatever they decide and be thankful I have a job since so many are out of work right now but I'm not looking forward to a 5 hour commute!! We'll see what he has in mind in the morning. Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment